Objective: The aim of this study was to evaluate the metabolic effects of fatty pancreas (nonalcoholic fatty pancreas disease – NAFPD) in a group of obese paediatric patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
Methods: We included 121 consecutive children with echographic evidence of hepatic steatosis. All patients underwent to abdominal ultrasound to evaluate pancreatic echogenic pattern. We divided the patients into two groups on the basis of the presence of fatty pancreas. In all patients liver function tests, lipid and gluco-insulinemic profile were evaluated. A selected subset of patients (67) underwent to liver biopsy.
Results: Of these 121 patients, 58 showed NAFPD and 63 patients exhibited a normal pancreatic echogenic pattern. No differences were found in age, transaminases serum levels, lipid profile and pancreatic enzymes between the two groups. The patients with NAFPD had a significantly higher z-BMI, fasting insulin, insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) and lower ISI respect to the group without fatty pancreas. The patients with fatty pancreas showed a more advanced form of liver disease, with higher values of fibrosis, ballooning and NAS score with respect to the group without NAFPD.
Conclusions: Our study demonstrated that NAFPD is a frequent condition in obese paediatric patients affected by NAFLD. Our data suggest that pancreatic fat should not be considered an inert accumulation of fat, but as an additional factor able to affect glucose metabolism and severity of liver disease, increasing the risk of develop metabolic syndrome.
© 2015 John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Transabdominal ultrasonography of the pancreas is superior to that of the liver for detection of ectopic fat deposits resulting from metabolic syndrome.Li S, Su L, Lv G, Zhao W, Chen J.Medicine (Baltimore). 2017 Sep;96(37):e8060. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000008060.PMID: 28906401 Free PMC article.
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Pancreas Disease (NAFPD): A Silent Spectator or the Fifth Component of Metabolic Syndrome? A Literature Review.Romana BS, Chela H, Dailey FE, Nassir F, Tahan V.Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2018;18(6):547-554. doi: 10.2174/1871530318666180328111302.PMID: 29595117 Review.
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Pancreas Disease: Clinical Consequences.Dite P, Blaho M, Bojkova M, Jabandziev P, Kunovsky L.Dig Dis. 2020;38(2):143-149. doi: 10.1159/000505366. Epub 2019 Dec 19.PMID: 31865317 Review.
- Prevalence, risk factors, and predictors of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease among schoolchildren: a hospital-based study in Alexandria, Egypt.Alkassabany YM, Farghaly AG, El-Ghitany EM.Arab J Gastroenterol. 2014 Jun;15(2):76-81. doi: 10.1016/j.ajg.2014.05.002. Epub 2014 Jul 10.PMID: 25097051
- Increased circulating zonulin in children with biopsy-proven nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Pacifico L, Bonci E, Marandola L, Romaggioli S, Bascetta S, Chiesa C.World J Gastroenterol. 2014 Dec 7;20(45):17107-14. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v20.i45.17107.PMID: 25493023 Free PMC article.
Cited by 29 articles
- Nonalcoholic fatty pancreas disease: An emerging clinical challenge.Zhang CL, Wang JJ, Li JN, Yang Y.World J Clin Cases. 2021 Aug 16;9(23):6624-6638. doi: 10.12998/wjcc.v9.i23.6624.PMID: 34447810 Free PMC article. Review.
- Quantitative MRI Assessment of Pancreatic Steatosis Using Proton Density Fat Fraction in Pediatric Obesity.Kim J, Albakheet SS, Han K, Yoon H, Lee MJ, Koh H, Kim S, Suh J, Han SJ, Ihn K, Shin HJ.Korean J Radiol. 2021 Nov;22(11):1886-1893. doi: 10.3348/kjr.2020.1343. Epub 2021 Jul 14.PMID: 34269534 Free PMC article.
- Ectopic pancreatic fat as a risk factor for hypertension in children and adolescents with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Lee EH, Kim JY, Yang HR.J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2021 Aug;23(8):1506-1515. doi: 10.1111/jch.14326. Epub 2021 Jul 16.PMID: 34269508 Free PMC article.
- Severity of hyperechoic pancreas on ultrasonography as a risk factor for glycemic progression.Oh J, Park HJ, Lee ES, Park SB, Choi BI, Ahn S.Ultrasonography. 2021 Oct;40(4):499-511. doi: 10.14366/usg.20122. Epub 2021 Jan 16.PMID: 33730774 Free PMC article.
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Pancreas Disease: Role in Metabolic Syndrome, “Prediabetes,” Diabetes and Atherosclerosis.Filippatos TD, Alexakis K, Mavrikaki V, Mikhailidis DP.Dig Dis Sci. 2021 Jan 19. doi: 10.1007/s10620-021-06824-7. Online ahead of print.PMID: 33469809 Review.